Do you want to homeschool in Maryland with fun, freedom and flexibility?
Become a Peaceful Worldschooler today! Peaceful Worldschoolers are committed to cultivating peace in the world beginning right in our own hearts and homes. We are a registered Maryland homeschooling umbrella, and we believe that families should have the freedom to pursue what they love with the people they love – without government oversight or overreach.
Choosing to start homeschooling can feel overwhelming… but it doesn’t have to be that way!
The truth is YOU have been homeschooling your child since the day they were born, and you will continue to homeschool your child until the day that you die. By the time your child is 5, you have probably already taught your child to:
- identify shapes
- sing rhyming songs
- name some (or all) of the letters and sounds
- recognize or write their name
- tell a story from beginning, middle, to end
- use scissors or a knife to cut something
- cook or bake their favorite food
- build something
- explore the world
- and more!
But even more important than each of those “school skills,” you have also probably taught your child “soft skills,” such as: teamwork, problem solving, critical thinking, adaptability, communicating effectively, time management, cultivating
relationships/friendships, forgiveness, responsibility, and more!
Homeschooling is just continuing the work that you have already been doing by teaching and learning, loving and living with your child.
Are you ready?
Start homeschooling in Maryland today!
Angela Harders is the founder of PAX Ministries and Peaceful Worldschoolers. She is a certified Spanish, ESOL, and Special Education teacher with a Master’s in Bilingual Education Curriculum and Instruction.
Angela is a best-selling author of the Christian Gentle Parenting book, Gospel-Based Parenting: A Biblical Study on Discipline and Discipling, as well as her latest book, Tales of a Toxic Teacher: Exposing the Cycles of Abuse Within Our Schools.
Angela is also a single mother of two who earnestly desired to find a way to empower and encourage ANYONE to homeschool who has the desire to do so!
She has now taught thousands of children, mentored hundreds of parents and families, and is excited to support you in your homeschooling/unschooling journey!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Peaceful Worldschoolers is the homeschooling ministry for PAX Ministries. We are a registered homeschooling umbrella in the state of Maryland which means that we will be responsible for supervising your homeschool instead of the county or state.
When completing the Notice of Intent to Homeschool Form, just select “Option B – Peaceful Worldschoolers Umbrella”
Homeschooling in Maryland is as easy as 1-2-3!
- Submit the notice of Intent To Homeschool Form (select Option B – Peaceful Worldschoolers Homeschool Umbrella) to your county Superintendent at least 15 days before beginning your homeschool program.
- Allegany County*
- Anne Arundel County
- Baltimore County
- Calvert County
- Caroline County*
- Carroll County
- Cecil County
- Charles County
- Dorchester County
- Frederick County
- Garrett County
- Harford County
- Howard County
- Kent County*
- Montgomery County
- Prince George’s County
- Queen Anne’s County
- Saint Mary’s County
- Somerset County*
- Talbot County
- Washington County
- Wicomico County
- Worcester County
- Complete the Peaceful Worldschoolers Homeschool Umbrella Registration Form.
- Submit the $100 annual family registration fee.
- Zelle – 240-305-1441
- CashApp – $ajharders
- Venmo – @Angela-Harders
*=I was unable to find a county-specific homeschool notification form, so this is the generic Maryland Intent to Homeschool Form.
While we welcome families of different homeschooling philosophies. Personally, we are unschoolers, which means that we promote self-directed, child-led education. We believe that the child is the curriculum, so while we can recommend various resources to support you and your child’s education, we do not promote any particular curriculum.
We also believe that part of being a homeschooling family is that we focus on the “home” before the “school.” For this reason, we provide online and in-person courses/events for children AND parents. We ALL have so much to learn and grow – and it is a blessing that we can do so together!
To learn more about unschooling, check out the Peaceful Worldschooling Podcast or Angela’s TikTok where she discusses concerns about the current education system, answers questions about alternatives like unschooling, and shares inspiration for families to live and learn with freedom!
To join our umbrella as a Maryland homeschooler is just $100 per family per year.
We recommend that high schoolers consider joining PAX Academy, which costs $350 per child per year or $600 per family per year, so that they are able to receive transcripts and diplomas from our registered Private School rather than a parent-issued transcript or diploma. However, you are welcome to use our umbrella from K-12 if you desire and get additional support as needed for parent-issued diplomas.
We do not require you to keep or maintain a portfolio. This will allow you to focus your time and energy on the things that matter most to you and your family. Yay!
Of course, if you want to keep a portfolio for your own records, you are more than welcome to, but it is not required.
As homeschoolers in Maryland, we are required to conduct an annual review each year. This is a great opportunity to reflect on your year, to share informally about the things you have done, and to ask any questions that you may have. You can choose to do your annual review in one of three ways:
- 15-minute one-on-one phone call with Angela
- 30-minute group meeting on Zoom (during the 1st week in April)
- Peer-to-Peer Review with another member of our umbrella
To learn more about the homeschooling in Maryland, click here.
We support homeschoolers in Maryland in a variety of ways.
- Peaceful Worldschoolers of the DMV Facebook Group – We post daily field trips and events in our Facebook Group, and we invite our members to also share your own meet-ups and events so we can build a strong homeschooling community in the DMV!
- Farm and Forest School – We offer a Drop-Off Program on Tuesdays and Thursdays at a farm in Gaithersburg where your children can learn sustainable growing, planting, harvesting, composting, homesteading, and more!
- Educational Consultations – If you would like additional one-on-one support for your homeschooling or unschooling journey, book an educational consultation with certified special education teacher, Angela Harders. Together, we will talk through any issues or concerns that you may have and make a plan so that you can create the ideal educational experience for your child and for you!
- Peaceful Worldschooling Podcast – Listen in as we have conversations with other unschooling and worldschooling families from around the world! If you are an unschooler and would like to be guest on the Peaceful Worldschooling Podcast, sign up here.
- Online Courses for Children and Adults – We provide a wide variety of online courses to support you and your children as you learn and grow. Our course list continues to grow, but here is a taste of what we are planning to offer:
- How To Determine My Child’s Reading Level
- Unschooling 101 – A Beginner’s Guide to Self-Directed Education
- Unschooling and Math
- Unschooling and Reading
- Reading and Typing Program
- Gospel-Based Parenting
- Biblical Cosmology
- The Truth about PMAs
Only children in Maryland can be supervised by our homeschool umbrella, but if you are in another state/country and would like to have the freedom to unschool, I encourage you to register in PAX Academy which is our registered private school and will meet the mandatory compulsory attendance requirement for most states.
By registering in PAX Academy, you will have the legal protection of a private school which means that you will be able to receive a diploma and transcript from a private school rather than as a homeschooler.
In fact, we recommend that highs schoolers in Maryland register for PAX Academy as well so that you can avoid the tedious process of applying to college as a homeschooler.